The Berry Head fort was built at the very start of the 19th century, to protect a battery of guns on the end of the headland.
The guardhouse, completed in 1802, was used by the troops defending the fortress. Inside the café you can still see part of the tunnel system which was built inside the fort all those years ago.
There has been a tea room in the Guardhouse for over 100 years. Ladies in bonnets and crinolines used to visit with their parasols. Fashions might have changed but a cafe remains. We still serve cream teas and ice cream but have extended the menu somewhat. In 2010 an extension was built by the Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust, which includes large windows looking out to sea and underfloor heating. The light and airy room can sit 40 guests inside, and 64 on wooden tables outside in warm weather.
We serve a range of local, home-made hot and cold food, quality coffee and Teapigs tea, alcoholic and soft drinks – and of course the famous Guardhouse Cream Teas!Our specials board changes seasonally and features unusual but delicious home-made food. Our cakes and brownies are made by local ladies. Come and taste for yourself why we were finalists at the 2016 “Taste of England” awards!