Although the cafe is now serving our top quality food and drinks again, we are taking the threat of Covid-19 to our customers and staff very seriously indeed. We have made a number of modifications to the way we operate the cafe as a result.
Outdoor Seating Only
Since July 4th we are fully open for food and drinks either to take away or to eat at our picnic tables. We’re delighted that Natural England have granted us permission to have additional tables until the end of October too – many thanks to our landlords the Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust for helping organise this. However table space is still a little limited so at busy times we ask that priority is given to customers who are eating food, not just having drinks.
Unfortunately we are not yet back to ‘normal’ service and don’t see a return to the Guardhouse as you know it any time soon. The rules are still 2m spacing unless there is some kind of screen in place, and at this level we don’t believe we can utilise the inside tables and still stay safe. Our top priority is your health, and that of our team.
Perhaps we’re being overly cautious; but we’d prefer to open up more slowly, rather than find one of our team in intensive care with Covid-19.
Consequently we will be operating for only outdoor seating or takeaway until further notice.
- The queue starts outside the cafe, using a knotted rope to help keep distancing, and comes inside the cafe for ordering. Please enter at the front door, and exit at the side door after ordering.
- We have clear markings to keep people in the queue 2m apart, and hand sanitiser available on your entry to the cafe.
- If you’re able to check in online for Test and Trace using the QR code displayed in the cafe, this speeds up the queue!
- Payment should be by card where possible, so we don’t need to handle coins and give out change. However we do have ‘clean’ change available if you need it.
- We’ve installed a large perspex screen to avoid you and our team breathing on each other while ordering.
- Cakes and hot drinks are all served to take away, in disposable (biodegradeable) packaging. We’re currently experimenting with using real plates and cutlery for food from the kitchen. Drinks and food will either be brought to the delivery table for you to collect, or brought to your table by one of our team (who will be wearing PPE if so).
- Our outside tables are well spaced out, and there is lots of seating available around Berry Head too.
- We are taking every precaution we can think of to keep you and our team as safe as possible during your entire visit.
You can see Alex here explaining how these changes look:
At the same time we have made changes to the layout inside the cafe, partly utilising space normally occupied by tables and chairs. By doing so we can have more staff working safely and therefore reduce the wait for your food and drinks.
Please click here to see our detailed risk assessment for how to stay Covid-secure for our team and our customers.
Please remember to follow government guidelines. In particular if you have any symptoms, or if you’re called by Track & Trace, stay at home.
Get away from the crowds!
We believe that Berry Head is the perfect place to visit during the covid-19 situation – loads of space to get away from other people, with wonderful views, walks, wildlife and history.
Please be a responsible visitor: remain safely 2m apart from other people, wash your hands regularly, and help us keep the headland tidy by using the bins provided.